Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Count Your Blessings, but for the love of all things sacred DO NOT sit in my spot!

My darling angel children had a little performace at our church this past weekend. I love going to church. I love to feel the love in a church. I love to go to a place for the same reason as other people (to worship and get a little Jesus because I sooooo need it) and I love, truly love, singing songs with the congregation. Sometimes I love it so much, I mist up a bit. (I know, I don't even believe it.)


Picture intentionally blurred. Or not.


I love it when the kiddies perform. They are so stinkin' cute. Seriously. I don't even really like most kids, but who can't love this?

I'm smiling because I am not where I am supposed to be and there isn't anything you can do about it without looking like a meanie head!

Yes, that is Mini Me. And she isn't necessarily doing what was intended, but hey... she isn't pulling the tail on the sheep beside her so that is a win. Right? Yes!

OK - So when all of the kids are performing it tends to pack out the church. What a great opportunity for church growth you might think if you were listening to my thoughts. I hope you aren't listening to my thoughts and if you are I am so sorry. Even I try not to listen to me. Sorry, squirrel! moment. It has passed.

Back on track. So. A little kid performance draws in a ton of visitors. I am telling you that the people show up early and plentiful complete with donations and cameras and extra sparkles and perfume and hats and a run on sentence. Better than Easter. Children's perfomace day is a day to show your best, Church. Seriously. Those of you who know me are preparing yourself for the other shoe. Here it is: If you know that you are presenting yourself to people who may never go to church except once a year, why, why, why would you show people this?




"Count your blessings, but for the love of God keep your butt, your camera and you potential donations OUT of my pew!"
One of these folded signs did literally read "Count Your Blessings." 
Really? Just how many of the teens have children who are performing? Hmmmmmm... I wonder what people would have done or felt if Jesus had welcomed them this way? What if this was the only time someone had EVER been to church? What if this was your ONE opportunity to save a soul?

To be fair, the teen group was not the only ones guilty of this. LAST year, one old person hit someone with their cane for being in their spot. Seriously. Well, almost hit her. OK. Didn't hit her, but did stand in an empty sanctuary having a hissy fit about where to sit! Guess which child didn't have a parent there to watch them this year? Yup. You guessed it. Because of the idiotic behavior of the people who are members of the church a little girl had no adult there to watch her this year. Congratulations on your successful welcoming of potential new members. Or not.

People wonder why there is such a religion fail in this country, in this world. Scroll up. I never claim to be perfect. There was but one perfect person and I am not Him, but you can bet if I had to welcome guests to my home I am not going to put signs on my chairs that say "reserved for the family dog" or "you are lucky we invited you here, so sit on the floor, bitches."

The program was amazing. I love my kids and I love to watch them do their thing and feel proud of themselves. The entire group of children and the people helping the children did a great job. "Big church" (what I like to call the sanctuary people)? Way. To. Fail.


I am singing! I am singing and smiling... because I am pulling the tail of the sheep

Guess how I got such a cool pic of Little Miss Trouble? From the floor.

4 comments:

  1. Way to tell it like it is, Sis! Can't stand it when "Christians" have the nerve to behave like that in.an.actual.church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it was just the teens, you should have taken the signs down. That's what the grownups in the church I grew up in used to do to us when we were being stupid :-) Jeff and I had an experience like that when we visited one of his old churches. Never had I felt so unwelcome as when I had people almost sitting on top of me and talking all around us as if we weren't there (b/c of course we couldn't be b/c we were in THEIR seats). I think our church does pretty good with not "owning" our seats. The people that care that much just get there waaaaaay early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is a yearly event that I think my church fails at. What a wasted opportunity to bring Christ to people. This is part of why 98% of the time I want to go to a new church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Consider yourself my friend, consider yourself one of the family…
    Consider yourself awarded a Liebster: http://lizaanne42.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/blushes/

    ReplyDelete